Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This would be me in judo class

None of the videos on YouTube give the complete sketch, although this includes the main part (the sound is crappy, but it's mostly a laugh track and the instructor saying 'one big bow, and then I take hold of you'. One version on the service has the sound cut out entirely towards the end. The ones with better sound cut off the best part, the end. But the sketch is very funny, so here you go...

It begins with the instructor telling his students that in order to learn judo, they need to learn how to fall properly. Each student scoots down to the end of the bench as the one gets up to encounter the instructor. One student walks right past him out the door. The others take their turns eating the mat. Then there's Mr Bean...



I am such a wuss. I'd have trouble learning to fall because I have a fear of getting hurt, so I wouldn't do well in martial arts classes. A friend has tried to teach me to block for years, and I don't know if it's the fear or just bad coordination, but I cannot 'wax on, wax off' or even more importantly, deflect up and down, without getting hurt.

No comments: