Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Random sonnet

Not that it matters, not that my heart's cry
Is potent to deflect our common doom,
Or bind to truce in this ambiguous room
The planets of the atom as they ply;
But only to record that you and I,
Like thieves that scratch the jewels from a tomb,
Have gathered delicate love in hardy bloom
Close under Chaos,--I rise to testify.
This is my testament: that we are taken;
Our colours are as clouds before the wind;
Yet for a moment stood the foe forsaken,
Eyeing Love's favour to our helmet pinned;
Death is our master,--but his seat is shaken;
He rides victorious,--but his ranks are thinned.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay, orginally from The Buck in the Snow, appearing in Collected Sonnets

I checked out a volume of Edna St. Vincent Millay's sonnets, mainly because she was my mother's favourite poet and I wanted in some way to understand my mother's hopes, dreams, and emotions, especially as a young woman--the things that had drawn her to this poetess. I'm finding it an interesting endeavour.

No comments: