Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I guess that last post didn't make much sense

On Friday, I knew my Internet service was going to be restricted by midnight, so when I got home at 11:20 I tried to blog to that effect. Unfortunately, I hit the return key right after typing the title, so it published, then went in to actually do the post and by the time I got through (although before midnight), my service was off. Sorry about that. It's back on (obviously), so here's what you missed:

Friday the 18th

Reading: Necroscope by Brian Lumley (reading aloud with a friend, a chapter a night)

Once again I'm going to have an Internet outage, albeit a relatively short one, that should run from tonight about midnight until Tuesday, when I can pay my bill. I hate that Insight will only allow you to make arrangements to pay once every six months.

On the other hand, I did make my rent yesterday, albeit late, but all the working I did this week should help me be able to be on time for August. Right now I have a roof over my head, electricity, gas for the car, and a little food, so hopefully I can make it until I get paid next week. But I don't have money for anything else, like the bus if something happens to the car, which inexplicably stalled in traffic today, although thankfully it started right back up.

I hate this. I've been looking at jobs and noticed one at the public library closing tomorrow for a part-time children's librarian. But although I love children in theory, and certainly love children's literature, in practice I'm just not comfortable around children. I wasn't even that comfortable around children when I was a child. Babies especially both intrigue and terrify me. Give me a kid about 6-10 and I can relate well. Before and after that, they might as well be aliens. So I'm not going to apply for that job, although it would help to have a second job that paid over $17 an hour. Everything else was either too far away or paraprofessional. There are definite downsides to living in a town with a library school--much more competition. But at least the library jobs are still posted fairly frequently. I've seen a greater dearth, especially the year I graduated (1993), when even the grocers around here weren't hiring. And I've been keeping an eye out for non-library jobs, too. I'd hate to leave librarianship, even temporarily, but I've got to have some financial stability.

I worked 34 hours or so at the store this past week, so I was very busy between that and appointments. It was a little better because I took off from the hospital on Thursday through Tuesday, so I got paid vacation and didn't wind up working 54 hours this week. But when I was home, I was pretty much asleep. I still haven't gotten a chance to call my mom and talk to her for a little while or figure out which physical therapist will work for my elbow issues. And I need to go to the gym/clear off a space in the living room to do yoga. I might be able to work the classes in this week with my work schedule, as I think I am off from the store on Monday and Wednesday. It's worth a try, anyway.

I found out today that one of the women I really like at work is going to be moving to another state soon. It sounds like a great opportunity for her family, it isn't too far away, but still, I'm going to miss her. She's the main person I eat lunch with these days (the others tend to eat outside, and I don't care to be out in the sun, since I burn so easily and am on some medication sometimes that makes that more likely). She's actually expressed interest in how the role-playing game works and I've told her a little bit about what's happening here and there and about my characters (without geeking out on her too badly, I might add).

Well, I think I'll update on Twitter and then head to bed. A friend will be calling me at 3 am for a ride, and tomorrow I work 10-6. I need to work on notes badly tomorrow, but there's also the grand 2-hour finale of 'Avatar: The Last Air Bender' on television, and I'd like to see it.

(Okay, so I couldn't stay on...I had to post this later.)

Saturday the 19th

Yay! We went to pre-pay! Okay, so no one told me until noon, so I was happily pre-authorising pumps for two hours before I found out. This means I have had no drive-offs for July and WON'T EVER AGAIN. Woo-hoo. Of course, it was rather stressful because several people bitched about it and threatened to never darken our door again. Good luck on finding a gas station in this area that isn’t pre-pay. We were one of the last to go.

Avatar was excellent by the way. I'm slowing getting a friend all the DVDs so we can watch them. I just haven't had much money to do so lately.

Sunday the 20th

No game today, but I did all the preparations for it plus a few other projects. I got home around seven, took a three-hour nap, and then got up at ten to do some things (I’d gotten up before 7 am, so I was a little tired.) I need to clear a space in my living room floor for yoga (I have some boxes of books and such. I’m not sure where to put them. Maybe the bedroom closet? I’ll have to check.)

Monday the 21st

A little white spider rode to work with me this morning. Sometimes spiders seem to be messengers from the Gods (particularly my own Patroness, Hekate), but I didn't get a clear sense of a warning or other message.

One more chapter of the Lumley book to go.

Tuesday the 22nd

A very long day, working from 10 am-10 pm between both jobs. The prepay thing has made things much easier. After work I went over to my friend's and we finished Necroscope. The idea is to read the whole series. I enjoyed it thoroughly, although I may need to go back over the last chapter because I was falling asleep as I read, and he did too--not because it was boring, but because we were both so tired (well, and we're kind of geared to fall asleep when read to).

Today

I still feel tired. I got about 6 hours of sleep, but I need more. Today I don't work at the store, but I do have my first session of physical therapy for my elbow, which should be interesting.

No comments: