Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Last night

my internet was acting up and so during the time I would normally blog, I reset and unplugged modems and routers until it was working, then headed to bed without writing. Sorry about that, but I'd worked two jobs and taped a lot of a little hot utility room with no air conditioning for several hours and I just felt drained. Today's the priming. Now that I've meticulously taped, I'm thinking the priming and painting won't be as bad. But, hey, I could be wrong.

I think I have a new addition to my painting clothes. Monday I went to Danville and before I left I checked the car's oil and transmission fluid and prepaid for some gas. I needed transmission fluid. Now, my hood doesn't stay up on its own anymore; the hydraulics are shot. It's a twelve-year-old car with 252,000 miles on it, so as long as other things don't break down, I can live with it. Well, I was juggling the hood, the funnel (you need a long one for transmission fluid), and the fluid, and I wound up dumping the fluid down my blouse--my favourite one at that. I was so discombulated that I almost drove away without pumping my gas. But I got some of the fluid into the car, pumped the gas, went home (I was only a block or two away), changed, and headed to Danville.

I missed my cousins by about 15 minutes; they headed towards Mammoth Cave and other attractions to see on the way back South. My uncles were roofing a shed for my grandmother most of the day, so I saw them intermittently, then had a little visit when they were through. My mom and John came for awhile, but she'd had a 16-hour shift the night before and was exhausted. She went back home to go to bed after awhile (but I did get my car insurance cards from her; yay--my copies have been expired since February, even though I've had insurance, I just haven't had the proof with me). But I had a great visit with my Aunt Sharon Sue (I have two Aunt Sharons--my uncle married one, so the middle name is necessary; besides, we're in the South--that's what she's always been called. This is my mother's sister. She and her husband are paraprofessionals in a public library, so we can commisurate.) And of course I got to visit quite a bit with my grandmother. All in all it was a good visit. The weather was beautiful and the traffic light, at least on the way there. There were a couple of accidents and even a detour but it wasn't too bad.

After that I came back to Lexington, taped for a couple of hours, and then I did notes. This is my first experience using the recording I made to get down everything; I'm listening to it off the flash drive on the computer through Windows Media Player since I can start and stop it easily. On the recorder, unless you set index marks, it just goes back to the beginning or forward to the end, and that's over 6 hours of recording to go through. This way I can skip any extraneous stuff like dollmaking or the latest movies and concentrate on the content from the game.

Yesterday I worked at the hospital and met with a Basch representative, who did an impressive presentation. If she can get a better deal, especially in terms of service fees, I may go with her company as a serials vendor. I like their claims system, check-in module, and how easily it is to access electronic journals in a central online location. I haven't had that with our current jobber. Then I went to the store for about 3 hours and helped train a new girl. Then it was time for taping. I didn't get to do notes last night; I felt like I'd had all the life sucked out from me and only an episode of 'Will & Grace' restored me a tad.

By the way, something happened on Friday that I forgot to mention here, although I put it on Twitter. I went to the clinic to check on room for some Spanish books and found a tub of ice condensing on top of some of the board books during a party. Needless to say, I was upset, and although I didn't demand the culprit's tongue, I did point out to several people that this was no place for liquids. About four were damaged, but not severely. I forget other people are clueless about books, but my God, you expect some common sense, especially as all of the people in the clinic presumably have degrees. Agh.

Okay, off to work before I'm late.

No comments: