Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wish me luck

I'm going to the Habitat for Humanity site in a little while and starting work. Tonight's scheduled task is siding. YKWIA is no doubt laughing--he's done this before. Let's see if I can manage to use a claw hammer without loss to life or limb. Actually, I have some mechanical ability, but I'm also clumsy, so that's the concern.

All the people from the hospital who are doing the build were given powder blue shirts with our logo on it. I'm wearing that and my khaki convertible pants (they convert from regular length to capri, but I'm keeping them normal). I found my boots and put my inserts into them. I stopped by Walgreens to pick up some medication and invested in some sunblock as well, since I had no idea where mine was (actually, I just looked down from the computer and it's on the shelf below my table in front of the window) and sunscreen's supposed to only last about a year anyway--and my old one is 2-3 years old. This came with a keyring version for taking along with you. It's SPF 70 for the regular one and 30 for the keychain, so that should protect my Irish skin. I put my hair up in braids rather than using a scrunchy in case of needing to wear hard hats. I think I'm ready.

Gods, I'm going to be tired tonight, I suspect. Then there's the final coat of paint on the wainscotting to do and notes. Agh. But I'm not checking in the truck at the store tonight. :) (The actual check in is rather a bunny job; it's putting away the boxes that involves lifting and sweating.)

On top of that I have to get up early because I'm an hour and fifteen minutes behind on my time at work, so I need to go in at 9 am rather than 10. Plus I need to straighten up a bit since they're looking for leaks and will be coming into the apartment to turn the water off, so that also means I have to take a shower tonight or early tomorrow before they do that.

Okay, here goes nothing. :)

No comments: