Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good things

I:

  1. Got home before midnight. Yay!
  2. Have only one more coat of paint left on the seemingly neverending painting project.
  3. Am starting the Habitat for Humanity build tomorrow.
  4. Am going to bed at a reasonable hour.


PS I'm trying to find a decent program that will help me transcribe dictation from a .wma file rather than a .wav. My recorder creates .wma files, and when I've tried to convert to a .wav for Express Scribe and other programs, I run out of space on the computer/disk I'm saving it to. (Well, I can do it on my computer, but a six-hour session creates a 4 gigabyte file that I can't get onto flash drives and the computer I use for the notes doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive.) Express Scribe is supposed to open .wma's but doesn't seem to recognise the one I have. Right now I'm using Windows Media Player and the slide bar is not particularly sensitive; I need to be able to rewind just a bit rather than to the beginning of recording, etc. Everything I've tried so far, even with a .wav, thinks it's 6 minutes rather than 6 hours long. Any suggestions?

PPS Actually, the version of Windows Media Player that I have on my computer allows for holding down the rewind or fast forward buttons to go back or advance a short amount. The question is whether I can get a version with that feature to work on a machine running Windows ME. (What can I say, I'm doing notes on an old clunker, and I can't bring them home and do them here, unfortunately.) Hmmm...Microsoft suggests WMP 9 for ME. It's supposed to have a rewind feature. The one that came with the machine just goes to the beginning or end of the file. It's worth a try.

No comments: