Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 02, 2007

One of my favourite songs...

terribly depressing yet moving. Quite a few of my own ancestors came from Ireland. I think this song captures the experiences of some of those immigrants and the ones left behind. The song was based on actual letters written from Ireland to the songwriter's great-grandfather.

'Kilkelly', sung by Robbie O'Connell with the Clancy Brothers

Another terribly depressing song I'll include here is 'Stretched on Your Grave'. I prefer the Dead Can Dance version rather than the Sinead O'Connor one. Here it is. What can I say--I'm both depressive and romantic. This particular recording has an annoying tendency for the volume to go down between verses early in the song, but it's the best I could find.

I've always thought it would be nice to play this at my memorial service. That or Kansas' 'Dust in the Wind'. What can I say, I'm not a 'Rock of Ages' kind of girl. And as long as I'm on morbid topics, let me just state publicly that 1) I want to be cremated and 2) do not want to be embalmed (I think it's just macabre) and 3) will haunt anyone who has me embalmed and buried. Enough said.

Tomorrow's post will be brighter, okay?

No comments: