Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, June 30, 2006

Good

Panel says young girls should get cancer vaccine; parents can opt out

Although I think those of us who are older who have not yet tested positive for the virus should also be allowed to get it. The panel recommended it for as old as 26.

I think it's also important that girls be made aware that this is not a 'go-ahead' for unprotected sex--it's not like we have a vaccine for AIDS or other sexually transmitted diseases. I suppose on that I side with the conservatives, but for different reasons. Still, I know they're happy parents can opt out, but really, not allowing your child to receive a vaccine that could save her life it not responsible parenting. (I feel the same about other parents, who, armed with dire rumours and little facts decide to opt out of vaccines for things like measles and chicken pox.)

No comments: