Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Thanks to N

who graciously allowed me to check out some Ani DiFranco tunes to see whether I like her music. It's funny, Liz used to go on about Ani like she were Goddess on Earth, but I never actually got to listen to the music with her and get any idea of what it was really. I think she just assumed it was too hip for me (or whatever the term is these days). Back to the music, it's folk with attitude, so there's a good chance I will. So far, I rather do. I've found several that I really do love, and in many cases I can certainly relate to the lyrics. Case in point:

Listening to: 'Little Plastic Castle' by Ani DiFranco

they say goldfish have no memory
i guess their lives are much like mine
the little plastic castle
is a surprise every time
it's hard to say if they are happy
but they don't seem much to mind

It really strikes me as music from the heart rather than necessarily musically great. The frenetic and at times dissonant music mucks a bit with my emotions, but it affects them on a primal level, which is something I associate with good music. I like the jazzy, punkish style. Unlike similar 'political' artists (I'm thinking Tori Amos), it actually peps me up (which is good, since I've been down today) rather than making me a psycho man-hating bitch. It's empowering without bitchifying, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Oh, well. I think the only way to truly decide how I feel is to listen to more of it, don't you? :)

No comments: