Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I forgot to mention this tidbit

Listening to: "There's Nobody Home" by Pink Floyd

Someone took the stones from my altar the other day--essentially took the altar in its entirety. Not moved. Took. They are nowhere to be found. Theoretically it could have happened anytime in the last month, but I think it must have been a few days ago, because my large planter is also gone from the front, and I noticed it a day or two before I went out for the libation. This sucks, because it was my backup if there was a problem with the altar, to bring it inside with dirt and the stones. Now I have neither. This is the equivalent to finding someone has burnt down your church while you weren't looking; I was a little shocked and I didn't notice until I went to give the monthly offering (I pour a libation of burgundy and honey out upon the altar during my menstrual period).

At this point I don't know if it was somehow an honest mistake (they didn't know what the stones were, the pot was empty, and so might have seemed abandoned) or if someone saw me go out one night, knew I was up to something pagan, and acted out of malice. In my experience the malicious vandalise rather than take the whole thing, so I'm not quite up to praying for retribution. But it was disappointing, and I'm not sure what I'll do. That night I poured it out on the ground where the stones had been. If I build another altar, it'll probably be down by the creek away from prying eyes, so long as I can keep a small area clear for that purpose and not walk in poison ivy. Sigh...the challenges of being a pagan in an apartment building. At least the ancient Roman tenement dwellers had plenty of places to worship. I wish we had full-blown temples. If I had the money I would build one, just so pagans here would have a place to worship properly. Of course, for my purposes, given my Patroness, I'd really love to have a bit of land with a cave and spring on it, which is quite possible here in karst topography land...it's riddled with caves. But until then, I'll have to make do.

No comments: