Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 03, 2005

:D

Listening to: A Very Scary Solstice by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society
Feeling: Ready for the new year

Thank you to Dee, one of my gaming friends, for the above CD and accompanying songbook, which takes holiday favourites and give them a horror/Mythos spin. It probably won't make any sense if you're not familiar with the horror writer HP Lovecraft, but here's my favourite, to the tune of 'The Little Drummer Boy', which incidentally has a library theme of the Miskatonic University flavour.

Little Rare Book Room
(Lyrics by Sean Branney and Andrew Leman, based on 'Little Drummer Boy,' written in 1958 by Katherine Davis, Henry Onorati, and Harry Simeone)

Come, they called me
...The special book room
The rarest books to see
...Librarian's tomb
Kept under lock and key
...In terrible gloom
To save man's sanity,
...It's pointless, we're doomed, thoroughly doomed, utterly doomed.
Necronomicon
...The first I exhumed
From the book room.

Book of Eibon
...So frightfully old
Vermis Mysteriis
...A sight to behold
The Monstres and Their Kynde
...With edges of gold
Could make me lose my mind
...All covered with mold, fungus and mold, poisonous mold.
Kitab al Azif
...Its horrors untold.
Still I am bold.

King in Yellow
...Left me feeling glum
The Ponape Scriptures
...I'd stay away from
And then The Golden Bough
...My brain had gone numb
I read them all out loud
...Well that was quite dumb, terribly dumb, fatally dumb.
Freed the Great Old Ones
...Mankind will succumb.
What have I done?
...What have you done?


It really is great overall. Be sure to check out their website--among other things, you can get your own copy or even their other album...Shogguth on the Roof

No comments: