Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 14, 2005

The surgery went well yesterday

Yes, I'm gimpy again, this time with my left hand, though, so it's not so bad. I don't have much swelling at all, and I'm not as 'out of it' as I was last time for the first 24 hours. I even managed to knit a little last night and rearranged some books (right hand only of course). My fingers are free, though, so with a little modifcation I could knit pretty well. Of course last time, as I recall, the third day I crashed and burned, so that may be the case, too. I'm a little tired, but I've put off taking the darvocet (no lortab for me!) long enough to get a few things at the store and run a couple of errands. After I head back from the library, I think I'll read some of Incubus Dreams, the new Anita Blake book (a friend got it for my surgery recovery) and then nap some more. I'm checking out a copy of 'The 1900 House' since I never got to see the whole thing; it's about modern Britons taking on the role of a family in a house in 1900 sytle. If I am feeling up to it tomorrow, there's a meeting of the Lexington Scrabble Club I'd like to check out.

The first 13 days of January were spring-like here, complete with temps in the 60s and rain, rain, and more rain. Today it's a good bit colder (low last night was supposed to run 29) but it's sunny, and I must say, I greatly prefer it. We had the second rainiest year ever last year, and whilst I'm certainly not wishing for drought, I'd rather be closer to the norm. On the other hand, I'm hard pressed to remember a summer that the grass has been so lush.

In a fit of boredom last night I watched 'Wickedly Perfect', the reality series that purports to find the next style diva (akin to Martha Stewart). Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the personalities or skills. Oh, some people did very well in their fields, but the moment they stepped out and tried to be more well-rounded, they flopped magnificently. Still, it was, like most of these accursed things, kind of like a train wreck where you couldn't avert your eyes. But I was relieved when CSI finally came on.

I've decided that if I do pursue school, that it will be in computer science, which dovetails with the library science nicely, is employable in this area, and allows for a good overall amount of skills that are portable and multi-faceted. Right now I'm trying to decide between Sullivan University and Lexington Community College. The first is apparently pretty expensive, but has an excellent career programme for finding a job after school. I've spoken to someone whose in the last bit of his studies, and he's the one who told me about the expense and I spoke with the IT people at work and their overall impression was that it did not prepare as well, but they didn't know too much about LCC. It may be more challenging, and since I want to learn rather than just buy a degree, that's a plus. Also, LCC is closer to home and is right next to the television station I work at. I have an appointment with someone at Sullivan on Tuesday, and I've requested an admissions packet from LCC. Both apparently have quarters starting in the second half of the spring, so I could be going to school by March, hopefully. Since I have multiple degrees already, I should be able to transfer out of some of the pre-requisites like English and math. Some of my decision will be based on how easy that might be. Since LCC used to be more closely affiliated with UK and is a state community college/technical school, I'm assuming it will be that one.

Well, that's it for now. I'm not sure if I'll be able to post before Monday. If not, have a great weekend.

No comments: