Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 03, 2005

Sorry if I'm not posting much

I'm donating most of my normal computer time to helping several blogs dedicated to coordianting information about the tsunami aftermath, helping people volunteer and donate, find missing persons, etc. If you're interested in helping, I've listed them at the top of the left blogroll. The last I own, and is not so much directly helping as compiling eyewitness accounts from the ground, so to speak. A lot of people have expressed interest in having somewhere they can put words to faces, akin to learning about the war in Iraq firsthand from those experiencing it, rather than merely from the deluge of news accounts. If you're interested in helping with that, let me know and I can add you as a member to that blog. It's fairly simple--find a blog, type its location, add the link...not the most elegant but....

I'm considering contacting someone within one of the organisations I work for about how children affected by the tsunami needing orthopaedic care might be helped. I mean, I work for a charity that provides such care, including children who are brought from other countries with the help of individuals and other organisations, right? I read something today about the sheer number of amputations that were resulting, for example. We have a hospital as close as Honolulu. I wonder what's being done? Granted, it's something for down the line, rather than immediate aid. But still...

I had a wonderful new year's with friends. We had dinner over at my place, celebrating finally getting it company worthy after the (hurried, due to eviction) move in May. We played Clue and my cat stretched out on one of my friends and we very nearly all just fell asleep, sated and in good company; not bad considering I had the perenniel gas problem earlier that evening.

Well, the library's going to close in a bit (thankfully, even though I don't have access at home, I live right across the street from one of the public branches) and there's one book I want to track down, so I'll sign off. I want to catch the premiere of 'Medium' on NBC tonight, then do a little reading before bed. I have an early day tomorrow; I'm going in early because I have to be somewhere by 1 pm.

Good bit of news: my mom is off and will be able to come get me when I have surgery the 13th. Yay! I'm looking forward to it this time, now that I know what to expect. My other hand is almost healed; I think the scar will be barely noticeable once it's completely back to normal. Now it's just a bit red and it looks like my skin's peeled, when really it's just the other catching up with the original outer layer. :)

No comments: