Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 10, 2005

Someone I know will be very happy

that 'blog' made the Banished Words List :: 2005. Of course,Lake Superior State University isn't the pope of prescriptive language, or for that matter academically on the level of, say, Oxford, Cambridge, or Ivy League Schools. But it is a fairly fun project, and I must admit, I'd agree on most of the others. As for blog, many who voted against it have no idea what it means, and probably if they had to use 'web journal' or 'web diary' often in print or conversation, they'd prefer blog, too, which gives a precise meaning in very few letters.

Still, I like the tongue-in-cheek style, and it's the product of a group called the Unicorn Hunters, whose activities include:
the annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness, burning a snowman on the first day of spring, World Sauntering Day, International Stone-Skipping Tournament held annually on Mackinac Island, Unicorn Questing Season and Teacher Thank You Week.

I like burning the snowman on the first day of spring, but I'm not willing to live in Michigan to have enough snow to do so. I like snow, it's a special treat, because I don't deal with it day in and day out. I really don't want it to be a months-long visitor. :)

No comments: