Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Well, it sort of figures

I found a series that truly matches my brand of sick and twisted humour--and on the last week of play for now. :) A friend introduced me to 'Venture Bros.', a cartoon by the creator of "The Tick" that's been running on Cartoon Network's AdultSwim (I'm also a fan of some of the other AS shows, like 'The Oblongs', 'Witch Hunter Robin', 'FullMetal Alchemist', 'Futurama', and 'The Family Guy'.) Not bad for someone without cable. :)

Here's one review that gives you a sense of the show at Retarded Jimmy's. There's also this at About.com, although I hesitate to send you there because of the &%%&@*&! popups and evil frames. And there's this Tick fansite's take on the show.

It helps to be a late Baby Boomer or a Gen Xer (I'm the latter) who grew up on things like Jonny Quest and all those genius-boy science/spy adventure books, TV, and movies of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. And Hank's costume as pure Freddy from Scooby Doo doesn't hurt, either. I'm still waiting to find out that Dr Venture and The Monarch are actually twins (who know, it may be, I've only seen one out of the thirteen episodes). It's a great parody of not only those adventure stories, but life, too. None of the characters are 'real', and you tend to probably care about the villains more than the 'heroes' as people--Dr Venture's rather despicable, the boys are morons, and the bodyguard is a psychopath version of Race Bannon...actually, H.E.L.P.eR the robot is probably the most endearing. But the silliness has a bite that totally...and I can't believe I'm about to say this, given my anathama for postmodernism in school, deconstructs those beloved icons of our childhood, turns them on their heads, spin them until they're ready to puke, and puts them into their proper perspective all at once. Here's hoping there will be a second season. Or that I'll at least be able to see the other twelve. (I saw Dia de los Dangerous!, by the way).

No comments: