Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 17, 2003

P.S.



We did get the snow, finally (about the time people headed home for rush hour). It came down pretty hard, but I think we got off with maybe a couple of inches. The morning commute may be a little nasty, though. My friend Dwana called to let me know she was going to have her husband drop her off (her car is rear wheel drive, and damned near useless in this weather), so she'll be going in early. She wanted to let me know she couldn't pick me up unless I wanted to go so much earlier. I told her that was fine. Walking isn't really too bad, as long as the snow ploughs haven't gone completely crazy. Anyway, it was nice of her to let me know.

My dog loves to run in the snow. Her black fur just seems so much in contrast with a white snowscape. I went outside with her earlier and just listened to the snow fall. It was very peaceful.

The other day when I was walking home, I saw robins scurrying about the creek trying to pry what food they could from the slightly warmer streambed. Their feet went crunch, crunch, crunch. I had haiku come to mind:

Swift bird feet on snow--
Brook flows over stone with steam
Worms for the taking!

Hey, I never claimed to be a poetess. Still...I guess having grown up in the deeper South I've never gotten over the excitement of snow, even if I don't often get to stay home anymore. It's still not quite deep enough for a good batch of snow cream, though. :)

Well, I guess I'll guess I should go to sleep. Hope you're having a good end of week. I know mine seems to be doing better than the beginning.

No comments: