Oh, how apropos...today's Friday Five:
1. Where do you currently work? Given my recent blogs, I don't think I should say, precisely. Let's just say it's a charity children's hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. If you're really curious, there's only one, and I'm the only librarian.
2. How many other jobs have you had and where? 13. In reverse chronological order (I think): Cataloguer for a book distributor, comic store assistant manager, telephone researcher for a university, clerk for a bagel shop, graduate assistant in library catalogue maintenance, public records intern for the state library/archives, cashier at grocery, deli clerk at grocery, stock clerk for a toy store, work-study student preparing newspapers for microfilm in library, work-study student in medical school financial aid office, food service worker for university (which is also the longest-running job, which I kept through most of the rest, if you take it as one long position rather than the various jobs at the different locations), and work-study interfiler for catalogue department in library.
3. What do you like best about your job? Well, it's a chance to make a positive impact on people's lives. It's amazing how much good you can do by just pointing someone to information that may seem rather minor but could make a very real difference. In my case it's usually either finding something that will help with patient care or helping a family find out more about a diagnosis. I also like the amount of control that I have had in my job. Also, by far the majority of my co-workers are pleasant to be around and I usually look forward to being at work.
4. What do you like least about your job? Well, I feel like I'm losing some of my autonomy. And the pay is pathetic, although the benefits make up for that a bit.
5. What is your dream job? Professional student. Oh, yeah, I did that one. Actually, I'd love to have my own store, a combination bookstore and nursery where people could drop in, buy herbs, have tea, and maybe do crafts.