Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, April 14, 2002

You know, there was a jump in hits for this page, so I checked it out the site meter. Turns out I'd misspelled Afghan (not something I usually do, but everyone gets a typo now and again.) I've corrected it. However, let me just say that one sicko got to this page by typing in "afgan (sic) women that do anal" into Yahoo! Umm...no. One, you misspelled Afghan (and somehow, I don't think you knew how). Two, I don't approve of your topic choice, but as a librarian I support your ability to do so (just as I support my opinion to think that you're a sicko), and three, please go to your local library and ask a librarian to teach you some search strategies that can help you get better results. 'That' and 'do' probably gave you a whole slew of hits that had nothing to do with your topic. Many search engines allow you to zero in on a topic either by using quotes or by putting the plus (+) sign in front of important terms to show that they are required, or a minus (-) sign to show what you don't want. For example, if I wanted to search, say, 'luscious Latin babes", I might put that whole phrase in quotation marks to get that specific grouping of words, or type in +luscious +Latin +babes -language, because one, I didn't want to get Latin language texts, and two, who wants a 'babe' that can talk, right? ;) If I wasn't sure I'd spelled luscious right, I might leave the + off that one. See how it works? Oh, and use something like AltaVista. Yahoo's better for browsing subjects, and I don't think they've got a category for this.

No comments: