Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, April 28, 2002

Could KFC be using subliminal messages in their commercials?



A friend and I are both pesce-vegetarians, meaning that we do occasionally eat fish, but otherwise eat no meat. (Think of it as mediaeval vegetarianism; by definition fish were not meat for purposes of Lent or Friday meals because they did not reproduce through normal sexual union). We have a simpler definition; we only eat what we ourselves would feel comfortable killing. I've fished before. I limit my fish to a few times a month at most, and include a prayer of thanksgiving for the life of the fish before my meals. I don't eat lobster though, or octopus--they seem a bit more intelligent. I could probably kill a goose (I've been attacked before by them) but only in self-defence. This may seem odd, but it's the way I related to my food--I think in an era of convenience shopping we've strayed to far from the actual cycle of the food chain. This is one reason that I do not have trouble with hunting per se, so long as as much of the animal is used as possible. Deer hunting for antlered heads to hang as trophies, in my opinion, is sick. Deer hunting to supplement a family's livelihood and cull herds that might otherwise overpopulate and starve is a part of the natural order of things, I believe.

That said, it's bizarre that both of us over the past few weeks have been having intense cravings for chicken. Whether it's a large fried breast or sizzling Tandoori chicken, we both are practically salivating. He hasn't eaten chicken in over 15 years; I haven't for 11. Weird. It's almost as if some ad is going, "eat the chicken, what can it hurt?"

It turns out I did accidentally eat some the other day. I had asked one of my coworkers and I thought I was getting tuna but it turned out to be chicken salad. Now, even when I ate chicken I didn't care for chicken salad--I'm not sure why; I put in a bite and came out with the grizzly gross stuff that I would never dreamed of putting into the salad. It left me feeling quite sick, even though I spit it out immediately. It certainly didn't measure up to the visions in my head of chicken.

Well that's enough of my weirdness for the night. I'm going to feed kitties and go to bed. See you later.

No comments: