Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Just in case you didn't know

The True Meaning of Hanukkah
When my brother was in kindergarten, where he was the only Jewish student, a parent organizing enrichment activities asked my mother to tell the class the story of Hanukkah. My mother obligingly brought in a picture book and began to read about foreign conquerors who were not letting Jews in ancient Israel worship freely, even defiling their temple, until a scrappy group led by the Maccabee family overthrew one of the most powerful armies in the world and won their liberty.

The woman was horrified.

The Hanukkah story, she interrupted, was not about war. It was about the miracle of an oil lamp that burned for eight days without replenishing. She urged my mother to close the book. My mother refused.
This is a nice overview of what Chanukah is, and what it isn't.

No comments: