Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A productive morning

I didn't go to bed until almost 1 am, but I slept well, waking up only a couple of times in the middle of the night. This morning I got up, showered, had a light breakfast, and immediately started working on those thank-you cards. I have twenty in the mailbox ready to go out, and seven more addressed but I didn't have stamps for them. I also checked on a friend who's not feeling well and contacted another about arrangements for laundry. The plan is to take it over there. With a little help, I think I can do it myself, since their house in much more accessible than my laundry room.

So I'm just now sitting down to the computer and haven't looked at the news yet, although lately the news has been fairly depressing, so maybe that's not a bad thing. My only plans today are to do my exercises as directed and send some e-mails. I might have a visitor today, I'm not sure.

It's sunny and supposed to be in the 50s. Tomorrow it's supposed to be warm and rainy, and then the temperature plunges. Friday we could have snow and winds up to fifty miles an hour. Since the laundry is slated for tomorrow, I'm glad I should be able to make it up the stairs without crawling on them.

Although I hate things unnecessarily on my feet, I'm wearing a sock and shoe on my good foot because otherwise even walking around the house, the discrepancy between the booted foot and the good foot is too great and it hurts my back. I'm not putting a lot of weight on the bad foot yet; the physical therapist said to use the pain as a guide. It's not incredibly painful; I'm not having to take pain medicine or even Tylenol, and in general it doesn't hurt if I'm not actively on it, but it does hurt somewhat, so the walker is still bearing most of my weight on that side. Still, with the exercises and gradually increasing the weight on that leg, the idea is that I'll strengthen everything and be up to going back to work. I'm hoping I can do that right after the beginning of the year, in about three weeks, but the doctor hasn't given me a clear idea. That's contingent upon getting rides to and from work; I don't think I'll be up to walking the nearly half-mile to the bus stop, and trying to cross the road with a walker twice is probably not tenable. Someone suggested Wheels, LexTran's service for people with disabilities who can't use the regular buses, so I'm going to check into that. It would be a temporary measure, of course, but might help.

Speaking of that, I should go look into it. Hope you have a good day.

No comments: