Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 27, 2012

:)

I talked to my mom earlier on the phone. Remember, I wasn't able to visit either Thanksgiving or Christmas. We're finally going to get together. This is how the next few days are looking for me:

Friday: Last home health physical therapy appointment/discharge from programme, bright and early, 9 am :)
Saturday: Visit my mom and grandmother in Stanford, contingent upon any snow that might accrue
Sunday: Game!
Monday: Alternate family visit in case of snow
Tuesday: Likewise, although that looks like it will be a wintry mix, so probably not
Wednesday: Return to work

In the meantime, I need to practice walking around and do my physical therapy exercises. I did pretty well today, even stood in a line that never seemed to move, although that was hard. Standing is still hard. Walking is actually a little easier. I think part of it is that even with the shoe on the left foot, the boot on the right is slightly higher, and so my back hates it. Right now, after being up a good part of the day, my foot and ankle hurt a bit. My knees, however, are worse, as they've been taking up the slack. Oh, well, I'll keep plugging along and pack some Tylenol should I need it when I go to my mom's, the game, and work.

I did not nap earlier, but I stretched out in bed for about an hour without the boot on and it was heavenly. One of the things I tend to do (I picked this up from my ex-husband, of all people) when I'm trying to fall asleep is rub my feet together. I find it comforting in some way. This was the first time I've been able to do that in bed in a long time. Still didn't fall asleep, but then today has kept me fairly perky.

It's good to be perky. I'm not that often, really. But one, I got happy news. Two, I've had caffeine today. And three, on Wednesday I got back on track with my meds, having forgotten to take them for two days, and was feeling down. I didn't even shower on Tuesday or Wednesday--me, who is enjoying taking showers now that I'm able to again. So I'm feeling much better today.

I'm glad we went to the store today. I was getting pretty low on stuff. Since I've been off I've been getting these little frozen Greek yoghurt cups from Healthy Choice. Brenda actually saw them in the store one time we went. I've been getting blueberry ones, and also raspberry, but today noticed they had strawberry. There are three 100-calorie cups per package. I really like them. I also have been getting salads that have baby greens, cranberries, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, and a balsamic vinaigrette, adding a few cherry tomatoes to the mix. Now that I'm feeling better, I really should just get the ingredients for them without going pre-made. I'll do that next time. I think they'd be good to take to work. On the other hand, I now have some containers to actually divvy up everything in and then mix it there. Even with the pre-made ones, though, I think they're cheaper than the salad bar at work.

I am SO looking forward to getting back to work, to seeing everyone there, and getting back to something close to normal. It has been nice at times to be off, but generally I've either been bored out of my skull or actively trying not to be bored. Early on, of course, I mostly stayed in bed and healed from the injury and subsequent surgery. But once I was up more, and off the pain meds--but not as mobile as I wish I could have been--it was kind of a pain to be off. Still, I had to go through that, as I wasn't able to do a lot. Even sitting up for several hours was still tiring. Now I feel like I can, although I have to admit being a little anxious about going back after being off so long. I talked to the people today who have divvied up my job (my boss has been handling the library, one woman has been doing the data entry, and another the referrals), talked to HR, left a message for my other boss, and either talked with or left messages for a few of co-workers who should know. I have a tentative ride to work; I need to check closer to time, as she's been a bit ill.

I think this weekend I'm going to look into getting a cane, one of those ones with the four prongs on the bottom. The walker has been great; it's been my lifeline, as the crutches were useless without any upper body strength. But I noticed today I'm really just using the walker for balance as opposed to weight-bearing now, which is probably good news to my hands and arms. :) I think I would feel more comfortable walking at work with a cane than a walker.

Okay, that was a long, rambling post. Maybe I've had a bit too much excitement for one day. :)

No comments: