Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, December 14, 2012

I ordered something that was shipped with delivery confirmation

because it needed a little extra security. Since I have not yet been able to receive such a package at my home in the eight years I've been here (usually because I am at work, but several times when I have been at home), I am somewhat doubtful that even though I am home that the mail carrier and I will somehow meet up. The last package they rang the bell once, when I was in the bedroom on the phone, and I wasn't even sure I'd heard a ring. So I thought about making a sign that says to ring to bell more than once and then wait because I have a broken ankle and it will take me a few moments to get there. Problem is, that announces to anyone in my hallway that I am pretty much incapacitated. My neighbours know, of course, as they've seen me check my mail in the wheelchair and struggle with the stairs on days I've had appointments. Most of the apartment staff do as well. And although a home invasion is unlikely, it occurred to me it would be possible, and I might as well put up a sign that says, 'Come in, rob me (although I don't really have anything worth taking) and hurt me for all I care.' So I took it back down and will just take my chances. The package according to tracking has been languishing in Hebron, near the Cincinnati airport, although those tracking things aren't always right. It'll probably come tomorrow. I guess if I don't manage to open the door in time, it'll just have to go back to the post office and I'll have to send someone to get it, assuming they'll take a signature other than mine. They might not for this. I hate trying to get anything at home. It's such a pain.

No comments: