Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Indeed!

Teen: Boys want an Easy-Bake Oven, too

Or more precisely, what she said was:

"All they really told me is that boys play with their products. I already know boys do play with your products, so why are you only marketing them to girls?" she said. "I don't want them to make a boys' Easy-Bake Oven and girls' Easy-Bake Oven. I want them to make an Easy-Bake Oven for kids."
Of the three close male friends I have, two love cooking, and although I can't speak to Brandon, because I haven't had anything he's made, YKWIA is an excellent cook. Both tend to make things from scratch. I on the other hand, HAD an Easy-Bake Oven (it was blue, and it had the old-fashioned light bulb) and that, along with three years of home oeconomics and Future Homemakers of America, made me more of a baker than a cook. (I can follow a recipe, but I'm not a 'natural' cook.) But I definitely agree, we should encourage both genders to cook--it's a great life skill, and we should also be less gender-specific in how things are marketed to our children.

Thanks to Vanessa Irvin Morris for sharing the story.

No comments: