Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Sad, and preventable

But here's something I didn't know:
Davis reiterated that the Lexington Division of Fire will provide and install a smoke detector to anyone who wants one. "All they need to do is call 311 and tell them they need to talk to the fire department about a smoke detector, and we'll come out and put it in," Davis said.
Coroner identifies 3 killed in Lexington house fire; cause determined

The cause of the fire were smoking materials discarded into a plastic trash can. The elderly couple used oxygen; their son was in a wheelchair. None of them made it out, although they tried, and there was no evidence of a smoke detector in their house.

In this season of Christmas lights, space heaters, woodburning stoves, and the like, please remember that fire safety is of great concern. I work for an institution that cares for children who have been burned as well as the orthopaedic issues my hospital deals with. Please be careful with ashes and cigarettes. Please be careful when using oxygen. And please have a working smoke detector (with battery installed) in your home, or more if you have a large home. A carbon monoxide detector wouldn't be bad if you have a gas home, either.

It also shows that if you have a disability you need a fire plan just as much or more so than someone who doesn't. I've had to rethink things around my house while I've been off with my injury. I am careful to leave a clear path out of the apartment when I sleep. And I do check my smoke detector occasionally to make sure it is still working and keep a fire extinguisher in the apartment. Hopefully I won't actually need them, but, they're there if I do.

No comments: