Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Anticipation

From the local library, a hold has arrived for me: This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson. I'll pick it up on my way to work today.

This book has made quite a splash in the librarian community, and I want to read it for myself.

From PaperBackSwap, the book The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride is on its way to me.

This man's story of his family sounds fascinating. His mother was a Polish Jew who came to the United States, was raised in the South, and who went north and married a black man (McBride's father), and then, when widowed, married a black man again. She had twelve children, and despite monetary constraints, all of them went to college, and two became doctors. She had stressed education very strongly. Every other chapter has to do with her story; the other half with his of growing up biracial. They are woven together to tell a story that includes but also transcends race and religion. She sounds like a remarkable woman; she died just this January.

No comments: