Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A rather bad day

Nothing earth-shattering, really, and the first one I've had in a good long while. It was mostly a string of annoyances and frustrations, and I think my tolerance for such was low today.

First of all, I was late to work because I overslept, despite getting home at 11 pm last night and falling to sleep in the comfy chair within about a half-hour, then moving to the bed a little after 2 am.

Also, my shoulder, neck, and back are hurting from moving comic boxes from one closet to another for a friend yesterday. I know that will probably resolve on its own, but I'm stiff and not feeling so great as a result.

The next was my fault. Yesterday I called in a problem with our colour copier where it wasn't stapling correctly. The tech thought it was the paper (a popular thing to blame, I've noticed) but was still working on it when I left. My boss called me while I was at Kroger and asked me where the toner was for that machine, since the tech had said it was empty. The machine had not indicated it was low before I called for service, so that was a surprise. But regardless, I had forgotten to order toner after I put the last one in and so they had to put an order in. Unlike our last contract, when we got toner and other supplies within a day, it will take 3-5 days for this to arrive. So that was my bad, and as a result, the copier is down for awhile. There's another copier in the library, but it is black and white.

Then there was a patron who asked where an article was and it turned out I'd put the fax on his desk but he apparently lost it or otherwise didn't see it. So I had to order it again. Fortunately I got it today.

I've received quite a few donations lately and I'm running out of room. My boss is wanting me to find somewhere to store some boxes that are in the library because it looks cluttered. I'll probably have to throw some things out; there's just so little storage room since they took my closet away and made it into an office.

That was how work went. Then I stopped by the bank and discovered that although I can use my cheques still, my routing and account numbers have changed and I have to fill out the new bank's deposit slips. Looking up the accounts, filling out the slip, etc., took me out of line for about 10 minutes, and then I had to wait behind several people. I was polite, but annoyed. The transition from my old banking system and the one that acquired it has mostly been smooth, but this was a speed bump. It did make things faster at the counter, though, but I think I spent more time overall preparing for my transaction than I would have if I'd just walked up with my chequebook's deposit slips.

Someone came bearing down on me when I crossed the street that runs through the car lot, but stopped before they hit me.

It started raining just as I was in sight of my apartment complex with bags in my hands so I couldn't use my umbrella. To be fair, though, it stopped before I got to my apartment.

There are some good things about today, however:
  1. Lunch was nice, especially for cafeteria food. I had pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, with broccoli on the side.
  2. I'm off today from the store, and have the afternoon and evening to myself. :)
  3. Except for a few afternoon sprinkles, the weather has been beautiful.
  4. I'm looking forward to reading a little, although I really do have to do laundry and the dishes that are in the sink that can't go through the dishwasher.
Hopefully the night will go well and I'll recover. I'll probably write later, but for now the rain is making me sleepy and I think I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: