Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This is so me!

Today's 'Unshelved' comic, in which Colleen determines to continue looking for the answer to a reference question long after the patron leaves is so me. I want to find the answers to questions, not only to be helpful, but because...I must. I think most librarians are naturally curious and definitely want to help their patrons find answers. But sometimes, no matter how talented, we are thwarted. I suppose I feel like pursuing an answer on my own time because I refuse to be defeated by a question. You never know when it might come up again, no matter how esoteric, but mainly it comes down to meeting a challenge and fulfilling curiosity. Of course, the main objective, which we should not lose track of, is, indeed, finding such information for the patron, but still, I understand her determination.

No comments: