Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 26, 2010

The first thing I did when I got home from work tonight

was take my little boom box back out to Brandon's car so we could have it going at work tomorrow night when the University of Kentucky plays West Virginia in the NCAA tournament [Brandon's a big UK fan; I'm not so much a sports fan but it is my alma mater and I do tend to get caught up in a game if I happen to be exposed to it. Plus I get to wear jeans to work on game days at the hospital so long as they keep winning. :)] The purpose of giving him the radio tonight was so I wouldn't have to carry it walking to work tomorrow afternoon.

The second thing was to solve the mysterious appearance of a key in my mailbox. Usually that means there's a package, and even though I wasn't expecting one, it is almost my birthday, so there's that. But it didn't look like one of those keys; it had no label. I checked anyway but all the keys were in their boxes. It rather looked like a car key. Now, I don't expect to find a car sitting outside my apartment, but for a brief moment, I thought it might. Then it occurred to me that there was a car dealership ad in the box and this was obviously some gimmick to get you to come in, and the key had fallen off its paper. Feeling sheepish, I slunk back from the mailboxes.

Thirdly, I came in and the aquarium, which I've been putting off for a few days, was really looking pathetic, and I was swept with sympathy for my poor fish. One had died and needed to be removed (well, actually, two, but I didn't know that at the time.) So I filled it up with treated water using my old 5 lb cat litter bucket with handle (which for two trips adds about fifteen gallons). I told you, it had gotten low. I don't know how the humidity in my apartment can be so low--it saps the water right up within a couple of weeks, and the water was at half in a 29 gallon long tank. While I was at it, I cleared out some duckweed and fed them after things had settled down. I also added some Stability solution, which has bacteria that fixes the nitrates/nitrites in the water. My nitrates are always high for some reason (my plants are beautiful as a result, though it tends towards algae on the glass), but the nitrites are generally low. I had turned the heater off a couple of days ago because the water was so low, but kept the apartment warm enough, hopefully.

Fourthly, I noticed that my orchid has opened two more flowers and several buds are swelling. I was a little afraid I'd harmed it after I walked home with it on a fairly warm but somewhat windy night, as two of the buds on the first stalk shriveled up. But after a week I put three ice cubes (according to the directions) on the soil and then the ones on the secondary stalk burst forth. So, perhaps it had just been awhile since it had been last watered; I'd erred on the conservative side so I wouldn't over-water it. The flowers are a beautiful pink. I think it's your standard Phalaenopsis orchid, and it's quite beautiful. They were at Kroger for only $9.99. This one is a large plant (each of the three leaves is way longer than my hand), with two flower stalks, most of which had not bloomed yet, so hopefully they'll last awhile. The only odd thing is although the pots were all sitting up nicely in the store, apparently on the way home my plant shifted and now has to be propped between two candlesticks. But it's still lovely. I've placed in a window that gets afternoon sun, but there's a sheer to protect it, too.

So now I'm eating a peanut butter and spreadable fruit sandwich and reflecting on my day. Things went well at the hospital. The store was a challenge both because when I was on the register (for about two hours) I dropped more money from my drawer than some days and because of the supply truck. We were very busy and I was alone for about an hour. Then, the truck came early, before Brandon even came in (although fortunately someone else was there by then). Almost half the boxes we got were cigarettes--over 350 cartons, double the norm, and putting them away in an orderly fashion is my job, because I organise them as I go. That took about three hours, and at one point I missed a rung on the latter and nearly fell, and I dropped a heavy box of cappuccino mix, but no damage was done to me or the powder packets. Yay.

But I am so glad to be home. I'm very tired. The nice thing is that we're not having the game on Sunday, because Brenda is going to a doll tea party (yes, what can I say, she sews clothes for ball-jointed dolls as a hobby), and the game master is celebrating an anniversary (Yay!) So for me this means 1) I don't have to finish the notes by Saturday, but can concentrate on laundry and work, and 2) I have Sunday to myself. I'll go do the Sunday cleaning on Monday, and some major book dusting on Tuesday (I'm off for nearly a week at the store due to the schedule). Wednesday is up in the air; I may try to go out to dinner with Angelica, whom I haven't seen since December, and see if Teressa can go too. I would invite Brandon, but it's his birthday, so I'm assuming he'll be doing something with his family. Besides, he doesn't know Angelica. Thursday I'm on my own again. Maybe I'll go to a movie. I wonder what's playing? Friday is my birthday. I plan to go to an Indian restaurant (as usual) with some friends. Saturday I'm sure I'll work at the store, and then hopefully the next Sunday there will be the game again. So my life is kind of planned out for the next bit.

Oh, and I got three things in the mail today--the two T-shirts I ordered the other night, and the PaperBackSwap book The Color of Water. I've already read the first four chapters or so and it drew me in immediately. I'm also reading This Book is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All and Dead Beat, a Dresden Files book by Jim Butcher. I should concentrate on the middle one, though, because it is a 14-day book from the library. The Butcher book I have more time, and of course, the book I got through PaperBackSwap is mine to keep for the price of a book credit. I already marked it as received so the sender can get a credit and use that for a book of his or her own. I love that website.

Okay, I'm a bit tired. I may check the news, I may not, I'm not sure. I think I will sit in the comfy chair for a bit with the massager on. I've starred quite a few things from my news feeds and e-mailed some things from my library lists of interest so that I'll have them at home and can blog about them. So stay tuned. Good night for now.

No comments: