Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Baby steps

reading: Eat More, Weigh Less by Dean Ornish
feeling: Surprisingly awake

Today I've kept a log of what I've eaten. That naturally means you tend to eat less (and in my case, drink more water). I have found that especially with the long hours at work chained to the phone I tend to want to eat little single servings of candy, despite the fact that I'm usually happy without it and actually find some of it 'too sweet' to taste.

I've had an egg, a half-pint of skim milk, an organic turkey sandwich with Havarti on a whole-grain nutty bread, 3 glasses of water so far, a small organic kiwi, about 10 oz. of Diet Coke with Lime, a salad with a baby lettuces, carrots, tomatoes, celery, herbs, pumpkin seeds, cucumbers, and a small amount of Italian dressing and a few taro sticks. I also had a second sandwich this evening. Not bad. Of course, I've also had 5 black and white M&Ms, one piece of chocolate creme, 3 small peanut butter cups, and 1 mini Kit-Kat, all over the course of the day...maybe not so good. But I'm in the pay-attention stage rather than the sheer dieting stage, and you have to start somewhere, right? I weigh 280 lbs, and despite an increase in exercise and generally eating healthier than most people, the weight just seems to creep up; maybe that's the result of being on antidepressants (I'd rather deal with being fat than being suicidal) and my insulin resistance, but for whatever reason there's definitely a problem and I'm feeling less like myself because of it.

I have a lot to look forward to, and I'd rather be around to enjoy it. So I'm reading Dr Ornish's book (primarily vegetarian) and trying to cut back on the fat for a start.

Wish me luck. :)

No comments: