Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

10 Reasons to Become a Solo Medical Librarian

Nicole Cormia, a medical librarian in Wyoming, came up with this list and recently posted it on MEDLIB-L. I asked her if I could post it here, because these really are dead on, with tongue firmly in cheek. So, here are her reasons, posted by permission:

Here are the Top 10 Reasons I became a Solo Medical Librarian:

10. I love to read the medical literature.
9. For the relaxed stress free environment.
8. I enjoy working with a team of experts in Reference, Circulation, Technical Services, and ILL who all look like me.
7. We offer many services for our patrons, Oops, that's the
schizophrenic "We"
6. To see how many hats I could wear simultaneously.
5. To time how fast I could run from the library to the OR with a search request.
4. I wanted to learn how to juggle.
3. So I could simultaneously eat lunch, do a literature request, answer the phone, open and sort the mail, process new journals, answer a patient's question, and conduct a reference interview for a doc that needs an article right now.
2. I always wanted to be a bookkeeper and accountant who pays the bills and has 10 subaccounts.

Finally, the number one reason I wanted to be a One Person Medical Librarian..............

1. It's upwardly mobile.

:) Thanks!!!

No comments: