Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 16, 2004

Aah

listening to: Once More, With Feeling (Buffy: the Musical)--voted by this reporter as the best workout CD ever
feeling: Energetic, but waning fast with the sunlight

Today I worked at the hospital (no President's Day off for us) but didn't at KET (yay! to be a state employee). So, instead of working on web pages I headed to the gym and worked out for the first time in awhile. I didn't push too hard, but I did the random programmes on the treadmill and bike (15 mins each) and did a circuit of the main weight machines, worked up a sweat (and an appetite) and got quite a lot done. I think I was there for about an hour and a half. Then I went over to Captain D's and got some fish and finished up Auntie Mame. As much as I love the Rosalind Russell movie (the Lucille Ball one is, unfortunately, a clunker in comparison), I must say I love the book even more so, even though my favourite line--'Life is a banquet, and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death! Live!' is from the Lawrence and Lee stage version, it still captures the essence of the book best. Edward Tanner, who wrote as Patrick Dennis and under other names as well, was an incredible person, with a personality as large as Mame's. I'd like to read Uncle Mame, the biography by Eric Meyers. And I wish they'd taken his son's advice and produced an annotated version--having led a life more in line with Agnes Gooch than Mame Dennis and never having been to New York (certainly not during the time in which it's set) I'd love to have footnotes. But I really do think this is going to wind up a tried and true classic.

Now I'm home, doing laundry, and debating whether to work more on the living room or just settle down for the evening. Right now the latter is starting to seem very attractive, as it's getting dark and I do my best cleaning in bright sunlight, although I suppose that sounds crazy. Hmmm...maybe if I play more showtunes?

Ta!

No comments: