Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 29, 2004

I missed the Saturday Slant yesterday...

Here it is:

What songs give you support or inspiration?
More so than any other media of entertainment or information, music often acts as a catharsis to help us move through and past difficult situations and times. What songs give you support or inspiration? Whether it's the pain of a breakup, the agony inherent in contemplating ending a relationship, the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job, or even just a rough day, we all have emotionally trying times. Tell your readers about a difficult time you've had recently and the music that helped you through it.


Music has always been very important to me. My moods affect the music I listen to, but also are shaped by the music. In fact, there are some types of music I really can't listen to, because of these effects. Tori Amos, for instance. I like her music, but it puts me in a foul, man-hating mood and no one wants to be around me. It doesn't even have to be the lyrics...the music alone will do it.

When I was a kid, I felt very alone and misunderstood. Two of my favourite songs were 'Shadows' by Simon and Garfunkel, Harry Chapin's 'Cat's in the Cradle', and 'Shilo' by Neil Diamond. They were sort of indicative of my depressive side. The things that made my mood very high were things like Cher's 'Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves' or Don McLean's 'American Pie'.

The one song that was most pivotal of all things was 'Unchained Melody' by the Righteous Brothers. I was listening to it, watching the movie Ghost when I decided to leave my husband years ago.

I love all sorts of music--classical, jazz, oldies, world, folk, New Age, classic rock, New Wave, modern rock, etc.

If I want to relax, the best thing for me to listen to is Loreena McKinnitt or other Celtic music. I also have a wonderful CD set of Alto flute and tuned crystals. I love Andean pipes. I love anything in a minor key. I love Middle Eastern and Indian music. I love strings, especially cellos and sitars.

I love music with a message, but also my battle with depression has made me appreciate dark, introspective music too...it was during my depression that I bought a collection of Simon and Garfunkel. I'd always loved their songs, and so much is musically upbeat, but I'd never realised until I reallyu started paying attention how many of them have to do with suicide, depression, and loss.

Even now, I idenitify with songs like, say, Matchbox Twenty's 'Unwell', Evanescence's 'My Immortal', or Sarah MacLachlan's 'Fallen'. They don't depress me; they remind me of a place where I once was, and how much better I feel now.

Show tunes also help when I need a pick-me-up. For cleaning or other activity, Les Miserables, Jesus Christ, Superstar, or Once More, With Feeling (Buffy: The Musical) are great. I go around the house dusting or vacuuming, singing along.

Hmmm...I don't know if that exactly answers the assignment, but I'm glad to have music in my life. I wish I could play music. I can't. I can sing, though, and now that I'm past the depression, I really want to perform again.

Anyway, that's my slant. What's yours?

No comments: