Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I've had a very good day so far

with one notable exception. From the moment I got out of bed I've been bubbly and enjoying life. The first thing I did was get a CD set of Jesus Christ, Superstar onto my laptop (it's on my desktop, but that's over at YKWIA's, as he's borrowing my computer until we can get his power supply fixed). I really wanted to listen to it on my phone at work. So I did that, realising that the reason why the last time I ripped one of my CDs there were no tags or metadata on them and they came out as Track 1, Track 2, etc., was that I'm not normally connected to the Internet at home these days. So I went on my phone's hotspot and got the information so it would transfer correctly. That took a little while. Afterwards I took a shower, got dressed, and started to leave, then remembered that I planned to go to the library after work (I have an evening to myself tonight, negotiated in exchange for staying late to make dinner and watch something at YKWIA's last night when he wanted company.) So I went back, got the computer and headed out to work.

One thing I will miss from my commute is being close enough to work that I can, on a good day like today, make the journey in the space it takes to listen to one-and-a-half songs. Then, I was inexplicably happy to see the Shred-It truck outside, because that meant my shredding bin would be emptied, and I'd planned to do some file purging and organising today, so I'd have space. I am also very happy that an orchid in the office is budding, the first time I've ever had an orchid do that (and I have four). I've never had an orchid rebloom, although they all have healthy leaves and root systems. This one was given to me two years ago by a co-worker because it was languishing in her office, which is interior, and it's now by a window and loves the northeastern exposure. She thinks it's yellow. We'll (hopefully) see soon.

The one disappointing thing about today is I got a rather nice letter from the University of Louisville telling me that they'd filled the position of solo hospital librarian at St. Joseph here in Lexington. I'd already gathered that; it had been awhile, but seeing it in actuality brought tears to my eyes. I am really worried that I will not find a job before the hospital downsizes to an ambulatory care centre, and I am out of job. Still, I have to trust that things will work out, and I'll just keep applying till someone sees that I'm a good fit for their needs. At least I got a phone interview from these folks, and they did say my application was very strong and had a lot of merit. Still, that was the one down thing about the day. But I didn't dwell on it--I have faith that all will work out eventually.

Anyway, it's been a happy day, very productive, and decent despite delving into files (filing is not my favourite activity--in fact I see it as a necessary evil). After the filing was complete I had to go through and correct several errors I had uncharacteristically made in data entry, and I figured out what sheets were involved and what had happened in each case. Apparently when my blood sugar came down to normal after we adjusted my medicine, my contacts no longer were the correct prescription, having been prescribed while my glucose was running in the 200s. Now that it runs normal to low, my sight was blurry with the contacts. I had noticed a problem with reading signs in the distance while driving, but didn't realise how much trouble I was having with close up work. Apparently I put some charges on encounters of patients with the same last name, or next to the correct on on the list I work off of. There weren't a lot, but like I said, it doesn't happen very often, so this was significant. But I credited the incorrect charges and hunted down the correct encounters, and corrected everything, now that my files were easier to navigate. After that I put in new charges, being careful to double-check my work (I'm wearing my glasses now, which are an older prescription and much clearer), listening to Jesus Christ, Superstar, and when no one was in the library, singing along. I do love show tunes. I think on my phone I have that, Wicked, Les Mis, 'Doctor Horrible', Fiddler on the Roof, Rocky Horror, and the musical episode of 'Buffy: the Vampire Slayer'. :)

After work I decided to be a little proactive for the first time in months and went to my allergist for my allergy shots. I hadn't done so since October, because life kind of got in the way. I had to drop down quite a bit to a lower phial, but I was able to get them. I can go up to three times a week, and will try to go at least two times, because my phials expire in April and that way I can at least use up as much as possible before they have to reorder them. I can definitely tell a difference in my allergies without them.

As a reward for doing that, I went to the library. It's right next door, at least for now. The Eagle Creek branch of the Lexington Public Library will be closing on February 26th for good, with the new Eastside branch opening at Palumbo and Man O'War on March 15th. It's a little further away, but not too bad, at least by car. Right now I live within walking distance of the library; after it moves, it will be doable, but a pretty long walk.

So now I'm online using the library's Wi-Fi, downloading Windows updates, and blogging. I will miss this library. The other will be bigger, and have a lot more amenities, but I like this one quite a bit. I guess we live in a time of constant change, though, as places move in the name of progress, just like work is planning on doing.

I've been here about an hour (I browsed a bit, first). It's very bustling. Later I'll go home, have some crackers and peanut butter (hopefully tomorrow I can actually get some groceries!), and do a little work on the house. I'd also like to do some reading. I do plan on checking in with my friends. I did tell them to call if there was something urgent that came up.

Okay, I think I'll do a little surfing, and see if there's anything blogworthy out there. I may write later, but if not, good night.

No comments: