Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Act Three and Epilogue #2

The flight on the way back to Lexington was pleasant, and I listened to music, drank my soda, ate my cookies, and had a pleasant journey. This time they gave us a whole can of soda. I will say Delta values comfort--the seats, even on the smallest plane, were well-cushioned, and I wasn't pressed up against anyone, despite my size. The carrier I'm used to flying on the annual trip is a little cramped in comparison. The service was excellent this time, in all airports and planes. But I have to admit, touching down in Lexington was a great, because I was home. I let my family know I was back, went to my car, paid my parking fee, and headed home.

I took the nap I mentioned before, but didn't wake up on my own; my friend called when he got home and I hadn't gotten there yet. I was dreaming and sleeping quite soundly. I got ready, went over there, took him to the grocery, fixed dinner for YKWIA, and then we watched 'Grimm' and visited. It's good to be home, to be surrounded by your people. I did really well navigating Chicago and the airports at Atlanta and Detroit, but I never really felt in my element like I do here.

Despite how complex and utterly mind-numbing the travel was, it was a very good trip. The meeting was excellent; the travel went smoothly. I got some wine while we were at the store to give in thanks for a safe and trouble-free journey. I didn't even encounter more than a couple of red lights while driving to and from the airport. And I happened to fly out before snow hit Chicago and Detroit tonight. :)

The worst aspect about the trip was that because I wasn't on a remotely normal schedule, I forgot to take my meds yesterday and missed doses of insulin both days, which isn't good when you're largely subsisting on snacks, rather than meals.

One of the best aspects about the trip was that as far as the actual flying went, I was really mellow and relaxed, despite not taking my anti-anxiety medication at all yesterday or this afternoon. I am becoming a veteran of flying and navigating Chicago's transit system. Now if I were just better at all the walking I had to do, which today was over 14,000 steps and over 6 miles. :) Fortunately my feet feel comfortable, and while I do walk slow, I did it largely without back pain, which I attribute somewhat to my recent physical therapy. Even the small of my back just ached a bit. Now this morning, it was a different matter--everything hurt. But a hot shower did wonders and I walked off any stiffness later. I'm also getting better at sleeping when there's so much urban noise from traffic and the trains, primarily. You can always hear something moving in the night. But when I went to the hotel last night, had my complimentary cocoa, and headed up to my room, it was quieter than I had experienced all day, and I tuned out the background noise as much as I could.

Okay, I suppose I should go on to bed. I'm sure it won't take too long to fall asleep, as I'm pretty tired, although the nap did wake me up and hit a second wind. Tomorrow's there the grocery run and we need to run by the pharmacy and get some meds for A. I need to visit a family member who has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks. That night I need to work on game notes and a cover letter for a job.
Wow, it's getting hard to think and type. I need to sleep. Good night!

No comments: