Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I must have been exhausted

I got home last night through the graces of a police officer who gave me a ride in a rainstorm. I'd hung around the store for an hour waiting for it to abate with little luck until then. I've never ridden in a police car. The back was cramped and the floor slippery. Once I got home I spent a few minutes in the comfy chair with a sleeveless fleece blanket I won at the book fair at the hospital (it also came with a book light), but my feet were really bothering me so I decided to stretch out in bed to relieve the pressure on them. That was 12 hours ago. My. So much for doing laundry this morning.

A couple of hours ago I got a phone call but accidentally let my phone close back shut when I was trying to open it. It wasn't a number I recongised. They left voice mail, but it was all in Spanish. I haven't had Spanish since 9th grade. The only thing I could make out (she was speaking quickly, of course) was 'español' and 'gracias'. I'm going to treat it as a wrong number.

Did you hear about the emu that had to be tasered and handcuffed in Mississipi to get it off of Interstate-20>? According to reports there were two birds on the loose, so one may still be out there. How about the 19-lb baby born in Indonesia? There's your odd news for the day. :)

Also of interest (at least to me) in my news reader today:

Peak renamed after Welsh princess

When the last (true) prince of Wales, Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, was killed on the battlefield defending Wales from England's Edward I in 1282, his infant daughter, now orphaned, was taken and placed in an abbey in Lincolnshire, where she lived out her life. Now members of the Princess Gwenllian Society have negotiated with Britain's Ordinance Survey to rename the mountain Carnedd Uchaf Carnedd Gwenllian instead. In doing so, her name joins those of mountains named after her father, her mother, and her uncle.


Cambodians in U.S. recall Khmer Rouge terror

The Khmer Rouge is implicated in wiping out an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians, nearly a quarter of the population, during their rule from 1975-79 under Pol Pot. People died from disease, overwork, starvation and execution in the notorious 'killing fields.'

Now an international tribunal is giving those who were refugees from the regime a chance to tell their stories, to list camps, relatives, and experiences of this horrible era that wrecked their lives, to be used legally against those who committed the atrocities but also to be archived so the full story of Cambodia may be told. As one woman said, 'I'm here to teach history to the next generation, so this horrific crime will never happen again.'


Four-Winged Fossil Bridges Bird-Dinosaur Gap


It had two bird-like wings and then wings on its hind legs that look a little like the ones sported by images of Mercury. It was also covered by a soft 'dino-down' on its body.

Fanged frog, 162 other new species found: Environmental group announces findings from Mekong River region

The frog eats birds, by the way. The fangs are for fighting other male frogs.

I also came across this on Jane's A Wandering Eyre blog. It's comedian Louis CK's take on the difference between girls and women. Warning: lot's of the 'F' word but it's right on.

No comments: