Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 11, 2009

I know it's somewhat hokey and tree-hugging

but I still love the movie Silent Running with its crazy but determined forester, music by Joan Baez, and robots named Huey, Dewey, and Louie. I actually own a VHS copy; it may be time to watch it again.



Sadly, I had to explain to someone on YouTube that the Mike + The Mechanics song 'Silent Running' had nothing to do with the film, having come out 13 years afterwards (1972 for the film, 1985 for the song). But hey, I always liked that subversive little piece (Mike was Mike Rutherford from Genesis, by the way), so I'll include it here. It was linked to a movie, though. According to Wikipedia: 'Printed on the single "Silent Running" was a notation that it was from the movie On Dangerous Ground. The movie was released in North American in 1986 as Choke Canyon, and in the UK as On Dangerous Ground.'

No comments: