Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 22, 2009

The reason I still cross my sevens nearly fifteen years after German class

Have you seen the Marshalls 'Bjorn' ad? I can't find a copy of it online just now but it goes something like this. They show a designer. This is Bjorn. Bjorn is European. This means he has cool European hair and clothes. It also means that he makes those cool 'ones' that look like 'sevens'. They show him writing the aforementioned '100' that to an American would look like '700'. Of course, this means Bjorn orders seven times more shirts than he meant to, and we can sell them to you at reduced prices. [Not an exact transcript; I'm pulling from my imperfect memory, but you do get the gist, hopefully.] I also cross my Z's. That's from physics, not German. :)

Funny how you pick these things up. Anyway, I thought it was a hilarious commercial, and it somehow made all my semesters of German worthwhile (even the part where the Frau would not let us leave during a fire drill due to a test)...that woman was like a Doberman in terms of discipline, but I remember her now quite fondly, despite my fear of her at the time.

No comments: