Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

You may have wondered where I went off to...

nowhere, actually. But my car's starter is out and so I've been schlepping around on the bus, which takes a lot of time and by the time I've gotten home I've just been wiped. It always takes me a bit to acclimate to riding the bus, but it can take an hour and a half to go anywhere if I have to transfer. Thankfully I can get to the hospital or from the hospital to the store in about 20 minutes. But to get to my friends' it's over an hour.

Unfortunately, it looks like it will be the 18th before I can get it fixed, because this week's pay goes to rent and it'll be about $300 to fix. The good news is that the strange speedometre-busting behaviour where the speed goes to 0 even when the car is tooling along at about 50 may be a faulty sensor. It in turn, can cause the transmission to have issues and other systems to go out, because the computer doesn't know how fast the car is going. That means it may not be the computer going out after all. A speed sensor should be much easier and cheaper to fix. So, I have an appointment at 8 am to take the car in on June 18th.

I'm never going to get ahead, am I? Oh, I know I will, but sometimes I get a little discouraged.

We had a heavy rain earlier tonight when I was at my friends' house. Fortunately it didn't rain on the way home. I hope the rain holds out awhile longer--depending on whether he finds a ride home or not, A may be walking, and it's several miles. I'm going to check with someone tomorrow who offered a spare van for times like this. If it's not still being used by someone else, I might be able to borrow it so that I can pick A up and do grocery runs, etc.

Meanwhile, my ankle is swelling to more than twice its size and is very painful all the time. My other ankle swells too (they do that in warm weather), but the other isn't really bad. My left one has really been hurting. It may be time to go to my podiatrist again. It may just be arthritis (it is the ankle I have sprained dozens of times), or some issue like I had with my foot last year, some stress issue from standing with my weight like it is. It unnerves me that my weight has caused broken bones.

I have a friend who's on a special medically-supervised diet where she drinks little tiny shakes and has a food bar a day of something that is so remarkably full of fibre that it fills her up. I think it's an Optifast diet. But the food is $150 a week, something I don't think I could afford, plus my insurance won't pay for weight loss plans (but will my diabetes and cholesterol, go figure). Still, it might be something to consider.

No comments: