Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I just had a bit of a close call

turning right from Palumbo to Man O'War. A car was turning right on to Palumbo and it seemed to be the only one on the road, so I started turning, when a car came out from behind it and nearly squashed me. Fortunately I am somewhat 'grandma'-like in such turns normally, and they were able to slow down, so nothing impacted and no one got hurt. Nothing like a near-accident to chase away the afternoon doldrums.

I'm getting ready to go to job #2. I left job #1 a little early because I was ahead on my time. Tomorrow I have a web conference over at UK from 2-4, so I'll get some extra time in then, too. I didn't want to be *too* far ahead. The main thing I did was order books today and waded through the rest of the e-mail I got during my PTO on Thursday and Friday. Fortunately no interlibrary loans got routed there, since I forgot to set the library to not receiving. I've done several borrowing ILLs since I got back, though.

Oh, yesterday I was positively bouncy, as I got another 13 hours of sleep on top of the 11 1/2 the night before. I was apparently exhausted. I came home at 7 pm Sunday night and was in bed by 8. But I got a lot accomplished on Monday, including an eye appointment. I have been wearing glasses the last several years but had decided to try contacts again, and it was time for my check-up, so it seemed a good opportunity. I'm in a trial pair of monovision contacts, which is an alternative to bifocal lenses. Basically the dominant eye (in this case my left) is fitted with a contact for distance vision, whereas the non-dominant eye (in this case my right) is fitted with a lens tweaked for near vision. It takes the brain about a week to really get used to both lenses working together. You don't look at anything with one eye--that's important. In order to get used to it, you have to look with both eyes. About 20% can't deal with them, from what I've read, but I seem to be doing alright. Yesterday was a little blurry but I chalk that up to having my eyes dilated. Today is much better. I'm doing fine with the computer screen and with traffic signs. It's not quite as clear as my glasses, but I expect that to improve. We're trying the monovision because I've started having trouble reading small print near me and have been holding things out a little further to see them better, a sure sign that I, like other forty-somethings, am having changes to my vision due to ageing. The only concern that came out of the eye exam is that my eyes' pressure is a little high, but she said that 1) they're at the same pressure, which is good, and 2) my optic nerves look good, so there's no real indication of glaucoma as yet. Still, she wants me back in 6 months for just the pressure tests to make sure everything is fine.

I guess that's it until tonight. Because of tiling (and a lack of paint coupled with my schedule), I won't be painting tonight. It looks like Thursday may be the next day. Have I mentioned that I hate painting dark colours on walls like burgundy? Three coats already and no complete coverage. It took five last time; I think the results will be the same this time. Each time has been over primer (last time dark, this time lighter) and with Sherwin-Williams' highest quality paint. Sigh. Well, it should be well worth it in the end, at least. :)

1 comment:

Shady Grove Eye Vision Care said...

While monovision is a great option for totally reducing or eliminating the need for eyeglasses, it can cause eyestrain, loss of depth perception or even double vision.