Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 11, 2008

Back home at last

I left a note for my boss at the gas station that I'm on foot/bus, so I can't get from job #1 to job #2 in the fifteen minutes it normally takes, therefore she should schedule me at 4 pm or later. I got some quarters and money for the bus pass. Then I headed over to GB Shoe Warehouse, where I found of all things a pair of black New Balance shoes on 75% off sale, meaning what was $72 originally was now $18, and the only pair happened to be in my size. Woo-hoo!

After that, I met a very helpful woman on the way into the transit centre who told me of her various ailments due to bus accidents but also ins and outs of bus riding, which was useful as I'm out or practice.

I got my bus pass and brochure, made it to my destination without incident, did various things like reading the second Necroscope book with a friend (we're doing a chapter at a time), then headed back. I did go to the wrong stop, but a helpful bus drive informed me of it and the bus I did need came a few minutes after, so I didn't miss the right one.

Whilst I was waiting, five youths came up and waited as well, working on rap songs they'd heard. They weren't bad, as rap goes, meaning they had good rhythm and cadence. It did stray into some vulgarity concerning how a woman cannot shake her backside with a man's member inside, but I chose to ignore them. But the amusing thing is that they kept getting attacked by a bat. I saw it fly in when they were across the street. Suddenly one cried, 'Bat! Bat!' and they scattered. Then they came over and waited with me. Once we went back to the other side of the street to wait for the inbound bus, the bat returned. I never moved, but they panicked. It was a little amusing. Later, when I called YKWIA to let him know I was home safely, he said I should have said in a low, creepy voice 'The bats are my friends.' :)

There was a man on the bus with a beer belly who was wearing a shirt five sizes too small for him. Why do people do that?

Anyway, it was somewhat of an adventure. I got various things from my car during my visit, including my work badge for the hospital, work shirt for the gas station, and umbrella for rain. I happened to have a backpack in the car (for the gym, with my swimsuit and workout clothes), so I put some books in there and everything else I could fit. It's good to have that off my shoulders.

Okay, I need to do notes and then head on to bed. I have to get up tomorrow since I need to go downtown and then transfer to the Nicholasville Road bus to get to my consortium meeting. It takes awhile to get anywhere with our bus system. They run every 30 minutes during peak times and every hour otherwise. It occurs to me that I haven't the faintest idea where at Central Baptist this is happening, and there are several buildings. I plan to go to the medical library there and hope there's someone with directions.

Here's a LexTran commercial for beating gas prices:

No comments: