Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Home safely, for now

Reading: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (a favourite mystery writer--her Aurora Teagarden mysteries have a librarian as protagonist--and well, I'm not sure where you'd put the vampire stuff...it's not exactly horror, mystery, or romance, but a bit of all three).

So we're in the midst of our first (and presumably only at this late date) substantial winter storm, getting a mix of snow and ice right now and expecting 6-10 inches of snow by tomorrow afternoon. I, of course, did my nightly midnight run to pick up a friend who works second shift. Fortunately we decided against the grocery run tonight, so I am home where it is warm not out in the wind having ice pelt against me. The roads weren't bad at all yet and the snowploughs are out doing what they can. It should be interesting when I wake up tomorrow, and of course I work 10 hours then.

I did stop at a gas station on the way that had not changed its price today. It was at $2.14 a gallon and most of the stations in town jumped up to $3.25. (It's the same company I work for--I suspect the manager forgot to change it before he left.) I was ranting about the prices being jacked up when YKWIA thought I should take a page from the eco-terrorist group ELF and torch a gas station in protest (okay, Homeland Security, he was joking). He said I needed an acronym of my own and came up on the spot with TROLL (Terribly Rabid Overweight Liberal Librarian). (Yes, this is my best friend of 20 years--with friends like these....) Seriously, all ribbing aside, I had to admit it was funny. And Trolls can beat up Elves anyday, though they aren't so nice to look at. (Just for the record, I consider myself to be environmentally conscious--and was before it became trendy--but I don't believe any cause is helped by those who blow up things, destroy property, and who do so without regard for human life.)

At $3.25 a gallon I'm going to hear a lot of complaints/possibly deal with drive-offs tomorrow. Maybe everyone will stay home. I guess we won't have many car wash sales then. Of course, by Sunday it's supposed to be clear yet cold and by Tuesday it'll be in the 50s. Welcome to Kentucky weather.

YKWIA is always on the lookout for blog material for me, since he finds such interesting and random things online. Today's haul included the following videos, which didn't so much harm him (he's Jewish--all will be self-evident) as leave him just staring at the screen in disbelief. They threw him. (Chuckle). I, for one, found the first to be great. I wish my Hebrew was better to read the slogans in the second one.)

'Japanese Fiddler on the Roof'


(I figure lots of Europeans, including Jewish ones, play Japanese people in theatre (I give you the Mikado, for example). Why not Japanese playing Jews?)

Then there are the Japanese Jews who converge upon Israel once a year in pilgrimage...


According to YKWIA, they are singing a song about the Sabbath. I love the blend of Japanese and Jewish culture. The cranes of peace with Shalom are perfect. How does he find these things?

No comments: