Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 17, 2008

Tired

Today I was off work at both jobs. I only had three hours' sleep last night because I had to be somewhere by 6:45. People really shouldn't have to get up before the sun. But everything that needed to be accomplished was and I am now home for a little while and ready to sleep at least 2-3 hours.

I didn't see anything on the news that really struck me to blog about. One thing you might want to check out is YouTube's 2007 Video Awards voting, which they'll be announcing the 19th. I voted for 'The Guild' under Series, 'Doll Face' under Short Film, and the Mike Huckabee/Chuck Norris video under 'Politics'. There was also a piano-playing cat under Adorable and the University of Florida tasering at a Kerry speech under Eyewitness (okay, the tornado was cool in one of the other voters, but those storm chasers are crazy). I didn't really vote for any of the others. But you can vote once a day. Anyway, check it out.

Oh, and happy St Patrick's Day. Okay, so I'm pagan (you know, the things he supposedly drove out of Ireland, although they called them snakes), but I'm also got a lot of Irish in my background, and the holiday as we celebrate it in America isn't really religious. Of course, I forgot this morning and only by happenstance did I wear a top with pink roses and green leaves, so I had a bit of green on me. I ususally wear one that has purple and orange flowers on white with green leaves, because it has the colours of Northern Ireland (orange), the Republic of Ireland (green), and white, the colour of peace.

Okay, I know, I can be a loon sometimes. But I've been aware of the Troubles in Ireland since a Scottish teacher in Junior High pointed out to us that she wore orange instead of green to support the Protestants. Thankfully, a lot of the violence seems to have died down for now, and both factions, Protestant and Catholic, can hopefully co-exist.

I took a test in the newspaper to see how 'Irish' you are. It had a lot of cultural and historical questions. Out of fourteen the only one I missed was 'What was the boat that carried Patrick from Ireland to Britain carrying as cargo?' I said cattle (cattle being very important in Celtic cultures, but on second thought, a bit big for those boats) and the answer was wolfhounds. But everything else I got right, including that Patrick was a Briton who was enslaved by the Irish, and not Irish at all.

Here's some traditional Irish music, with lots of fiddles by way of celebration:


Now I'm going to sleep.

No comments: