Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Unclean numbers! Unclean numbers!

Okay, that was an Epicurus the Sage quote, which is lost on non-Classics-majoring-comic-afficionados/geeks, but there you go. It comes from a scene where Pythagoreans are doing their holy rituals and those watching in secret start chanting random numbers at them. The Pythagoreans get totally discombobulated and start shouting, 'Unclean numbers!' I think the culprits were Epicurus and Plato, if I recall. I'm sure YKWIA will correct me if I'm wrong. I have my copy of this great book, but it's in a comic box in the closet and it's too late to go looking for tonight. Anyway, highly recommend it.

But, back to unclean numbers...

Every wonder what was so special about a number? This site tells you why:

What's Special About This Number?

For example, picking my current age, '40 is the only number whose letters are in alphabetical order.' There you go. Found that on del.icio.us.

No comments: