Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 21, 2007

My precious...(sorry, wrong series)

I have a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, courtesy of the Tates Creek Kroger, which was selling them tonight at 40% off. I have not opened it yet, but even though I have to get up in five hours I may have to read the first chapter at least. There is something wonderful about completing a series of books in your collection. I am very excited about reading it, but I want to savour it rather than run right through it, especially as it is the last.

I also went to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix tonight. I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it flowed better than the others, for one, rather than getting bogged down like some of the other films did. They handled Sirius' death a little different from the book, which I found interesting. The Weasley twins' farewell to Hogwarts was different than I imagined, but still fun. And despite not being quite toad-like enough, Imelda Staunton was excellent as Dolores Umbridge--perky, insane, and evil all at once. And speaking of madness, Helena Bonham Carter was perfect for Bellatrix Lestrange. Evanna Lynch was perfect as Luna Lovegood, too. Whoever did the casting did an excellent job.

The other day I mentioned a trailer for The Golden Compass. I'd also been shown one for Stardust, which looks interesting--and certainly it looks like Michelle Pfeiffer steals the show. It was on the trailer reel tonight, too. Here it is:



It's based off a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess, so hopefully it will be quite good.

There's also my favourite fantasy series of all coming to the big screen--no, believe it or not, it's not the Harry Potter books, but rather Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series. Here's the trailer that I suppose is supposed to appeal more to modern kids (the original sequence was set in the 70s):



A second one has more emphasis on the fantasy aspects, I suppose.

Obviously there has been some mucking about with the story. Will is supposed to be English, for one thing. This Will Stanton is not. I'll reserve judgement, but I rather unsure of how I'll react to the changes they've made. Still, it's worth a look.

Today was nice, full of Harry Potter and tofu goodness. Strange thing of the day: appaerntly someone has sent me a not-so-subtle hint by signing me up for a subscription to Glamor magazine. I thought I had someone else's mail at first, but lo, it had my name on it. Despite the fact that I rarely put product in my hair I have a secret fondness for makeup tips and the like (I subscribed to Seventeen as a teenager, for example), so I'm okay with it. But I wish I knew who gave me the subscription. Weird.

Well, I have four-and-a-half hours now to sleep, and a chapter of Harry Potter to peek at. Good night.

No comments: