Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 19, 2005

I'm finally going

I've mentioned this before, but this is the first month I've actually been able to go to the Lexington Scrabble Club meeting. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: It went pretty well. I played three games of Scrabble. I found out that I got on the list because the organiser had Googled Scrabble and Lexington and found a post here (a rather embarrassing post, really, so I reddened a little when I heard that). But hey, it got me out of the house, and I did pretty well considering I'm a very casual player who doesn't memorise high-score words but just have a pretty decent vocabulary. I was the only woman there this time (a friend laughed and said, 'do you realise you WERE the babe factor!' but there are normally more people. I knew one of the people from the Unitarian church years ago. Everyone was nice and I got along with them. Yeah, it was a little bit of a geekfest, but hey, it's Scrabble fanatics we're talking about. And I'll never escape my geekiness, I suspect, so I fit in just fine. I'll go next month and see how it goes. But I have to admit, it was fun, and the only trepidation I had was as a pagan entering the lair of a large Baptist church's rec building. But that turned out to be okay, too.

No comments: