Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I'm down

and tired. Tired of feeling like I'm taking three steps back for every one forward. Tired of not being able to take care of basic needs doing what I love. Tired of being alone and working without a net. Tired of a few seconds making more difference than a whole day. Tired of lots of things.

But, I have good friends who when I'm down cheer me up, who help when they can and when they can't still help anyway. I'm healthier than I've been in years. I just wish I were in a position that wasn't quite so precarious, that I could give rather than take, at least give something other than my time, which I have a fair amount of, or my love, which is surprisingly intact. I know that the latter is the more important than checking accounts and jobs and bills and rent and all those trappings of modern life that strangle us on a daily basis. But I have to live in a world where those trappings are necessary, and I feel like I'm going under.

I need a change, desperately. So much goes back to the fact that I'm no longer happy taking less than I should. So much of my stress comes from trying to fill in the gaps left by an eroded job that I'm barely holding on to and desperately want to quit. Every time I think that it gets better, something happens to push it all back up like so much bile. I've come to realise it's not my attitude; I've changed it to no avail. It's the situation, and it's not getting better.

I know things will improve, and there will probably be some risks on the way, something I've avoided, even done stupid things over and over to avoid in the past. But I wish it would happen sooner or later.

Thanks for listening. I know it's probably just good old-fashioned whinging, but if I didn't write this up, no matter how rambling or nonsensical it seems, I don't think I could keep my head up above the water much longer.

No comments: