Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 29, 2002

Speaking of overcoming adversity...



Sharbat Gula, then and now

When I was home from my first year at college, I was captivated by the cover of one of my grandfather's National Geographic magazines. It had a picture of a young Afghan girl with haunting eyes--a picture that has since become a sort of icon for NG and for the troubles that Afghanistan has endured. I've often wondered what happened to her. Now they've found her. She was not aware that her face had been published around the world. Like other Afghan girls, she was not able to pursue an education. She has since married and has had children of her own. Partially in her honour, NG has created the Afghan Girls Fund to help educate young women in post-Taliban Afghanistan. This is a chance to do something to help girls attain their dreams as women.

No comments: