Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Feeling a little better tonight

Although I basically got home about 8 pm and by nine I was asleep. YKWIA called a bit ago after I'd begun to wake up and we talked for awhile, especially about obscure Catholic and Gnostic theology and also about a show he's watching, 'Misfits', and a singular strange super power: Lactokinesis, power over milk and milk by-products. Strange that in all of the DC and Marvel universes, along with Wildcards with its range of good and mediocre powers, that one never showed up. We decided said power should have the weakness of lactose intolerance and beyond that got into some very strange renditions of lactokinetic heroes and their sidekicks that got a bit absurd. Actually, both discussions bordered on the absurd, come to think of it. I do not understand certain elements of Christian dogma and the hoops the Church sometimes goes through to make it sound plausible. In this case it was the idea that Mary is a perpetual Virgin and that James and the other siblings of Jesus were somehow spiritual, or loved like brothers, rather than the children of the union of Joseph and Mary. I'll admit it, Paganism has some strange myths, but I can handle those. And yes, this is the usual sort of gamut of our conversations.

I think I'll snuggle back into bed where it's warm (I'm out by the front window, and it's chilly). The wind is howling outside. It's already -3 degrees with wind chills about -25 below. We should go down to about -7 outside. We actually had an escapee from a local prison who had to turn himself in because of the bitter cold and he suffered from frostbite. I am glad to be warm and inside. I took some steps today that will hopefully help keep that in effect, requesting a small loan via my retirement, although I'm still concerned about my rent and how the timing will play out. We'll see. By some miracle my car heat is actually working without making the horrible sounds I thought heralded the end. I'm hoping my gas will last till payday, which is Thursday, as I only have a quarter of a tank. So things are still a little stressed, but I'm sure things will work out. Or at least, here's hoping. Good night.

No comments: