Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Haven't felt the best of late

I'm a bit grumpy due to caffeine withdrawal, a bit stressed over bills, and I'm holding the stress in my neck and shoulders especially, which is only making them and the arm worse. Friday night YKWIA made a wonderful meal of potato artichoke soup, a split pea dish, and a light salad. I was doing pretty well then. Yesterday, though, I really felt blah, and as I went through the day, the pain increased. Despite this, I had A over to my apartment so he could watch Jezebel, which I had out from Netflix. He loves Bette Davis and old black and white movies. Last month he discovered Turner Classic Movies and has been in heaven. YKWIA also introduced me to the Hulu original series 'The Awesomes', an animated comedy about a superhero team that is really quite funny.

We didn't play the game today (Brenda was ill, hopefully she'll bounce back soon), so instead of doing the notes last night I came home early and took a muscle relaxer from the last time my neck was in such straits and went to bed a little before 8 pm, finally getting up about 10 this morning after two hours of trying to get going. I spent the day watching 'The Awesomes' with YKWIA and helping get their house clean, although I got help moving things. Then I came home, did a little surfing online, started the bread machine (A reminded me that I could, at least, make bread of my own, even when having little in the way of money), curled up on the couch with a blanket as the wind howled outside and the rain came pouring down, and listened to Loreena McKennitt on Pandora. I thought about watching 'Downton Abbey', but I'm still on season 2, so I'll just record it for later. Soon that rain is supposed to turn to snow, and a blast of Arctic air is going to take us from the 50s today to below zero tomorrow. Crazy, isn't it, that it could plunge so fast? Which means I'll probably have even more aches and issues with the weather change. :( I did at least remember to bring my winter coat, gloves, hat, and scarf (the latter are 'Doctor Who' TARDIS ones) out of the car trunk and into the house so they'll be warm tomorrow morning. I'll need it for sure.

I'm drinking some chocolate raspberry truffle coffee I've had in the freezer for ages since I still have some half and half from YKWIA's last visit, and so that might help with the headache and irritability. The bread is probably a little over a half hour from being done. For once I read the directions and the rapid rise takes an extra teaspoon of yeast, apparently. I've never added it before and things came out fine, so I'm interested in how it will come out when I follow the recipe properly. I can take some with some peanut butter and spreadable fruit tomorrow and I found some garden salsa Sun Chips in the cupboard. I have plenty of breakfast options (real Irish oatmeal, eggs, and pancake mix, so if at all possible I need to get up early and make something. Or I may just boil some eggs tonight and go from there; I usually have boiled eggs from the cafeteria for breakfast during the week. That will save a bit, if I bring breakfast and lunch with me. I have some frozen food, pasta (including spaghetti with sauce and vegetarian 'meatballs'), that sort of thing, so I should be able to bring food with me till I get paid, anyway. The problem is it looks like I won't be able to pay my rent when my cheque comes in, because I stupidly overdraughted the account. I've been so good for awhile now with managing things, and while there was a bank glitch that allowed me to take out money when there wasn't any really available, still it's my own fault. I'll have to see what I can do to fix it. Sadly, over several months last year I loaned out quite a bit of money that I shouldn't have, and there's been no real effort to pay me back. and bringing it up just seems to make things worse. So while I did mess up, I wouldn't be in this position if I hadn't have tried to help someone else out. I guess the old saying is right: No good deed goes unpunished. I just hope I can find a way to get my bills (especially my rent) paid soon. Tomorrow I'm going to look into some options. If worse comes to worst, I might be able to take a loan from my retirement plan.

Okay, the bread machine just beeped. Time to see what that extra teaspoon did. :)

No comments: